Appeal to the commissioner
The following decisions may be appealed to the commissioner:
- Reconsideration decisions by the registrar in respect of:
- refusal to grant certificate
- certificate suspension
- administrative penalties issued to certified institutions
- Certificate cancellation
The following resources relate to appeals:
- The Commissioner’s Rules of Practice and Procedure for Appeals,
- The Commissioner’s Practice Directive for Oral Hearing Requests, and
- The Notice of Appeal template.
About the commissioner
The commissioner is appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council for a term up to five years, with the option of reappointment.
Maureen Baird was designated as acting Commissioner on November 6, 2023.
Appeal Decisions of the Commissioner
On April 29, 2021 the commissioner issued a decision upholding the registrar’s decision to cancel the certificate of Canadian Health Care Academy (CHCA) and awarded costs to the registrar.
- Appeal Decision – Canadian Health Care Academy (PDF)
- Decision on Costs – Canadian Health Care Academy (PDF)
On July 6, 2018 the commissioner issued a decision which overturned both the registrar’s suspension and cancellation decision for Blue Bird Flight Academy.