Institution Closures and Student Claims

The following institutions will close on or before March 29, 2017:

  • MTI Community College
  • KGIBC (King George International Business College)
  • PGIC Career College
  • UCCBT (Upper Career College of Business & Technology)
  • VIA Training Centre  

How can I get more information?

PTIB staff will attend these institutions on the following dates:

Wednesday, March 22 Thursday, March 23 Friday, March 24 Monday, March 27
  • KGIBC, UCCBT, and PGIC Career College
    9:30 am – 12:00 pm
  • MTI Chilliwack
    10:00 am - 12:30 pm 
  • MTI Surrey
    2:00 pm – 4:30 pm
  • MTI Vancouver
    9:30 am - 12:00 pm
  • MTI Burnaby
    1:00 pm  – 3:30 pm
  • VIA Training Centre
    10:00 am conference call (invitations to be emailed to students)

What happens when an institution that is certified by PTIB (Private Training Institutions Branch) closes?

When an institution that is certified by PTIB closes, PTIB staff will try to ensure students will be able to complete their training at another institution (the train-out institution) that is reasonably close, with a minimum of disruption.

How will I know what other programs are available?

When we visit, we will explain your options and provide you with a list of train-out institutions you may attend to complete your program.  You may be eligible to file a claim that would allow you to have a tuition refund paid to the train-out institution where you may complete your program. This means that you would not have to pay any additional tuition to complete your program. We will also post a list of institutions you may attend to complete your program as soon as it is available.  PTIB manages a fund made up of money paid by all certified institutions that students may access when a certified institution closes.  The money may be used either to compensate another institution where a student may attend to complete a program or to refund a student if there is no comparable program.

If you think you may not be able to attend the PTIB meeting at your institution, please email and provide your name, email and phone number where you can be reached during the day.  We will send you the information by email. 

What if I can’t enrol at the train-out institution?

If you think there are special circumstances preventing you from attending the train-out institution, you must submit a Special Circumstances Form with your claim.  If we agree that you cannot attend the train-out institution, the tuition refund will be paid first to the government if you have provincial or federal student loans, and the balance to you.  

If you do not want to enrol at the train-out institution and you do not have special circumstances preventing you from attending, no tuition refund will be issued.

How quickly do I need to choose a train-out institution?

You need to enrol at the train-out institution as soon as possible.  Staying out of school longer than 3 weeks may impact your student loan eligibility. If you are an international student, staying out of school may impact your study permit.

What happens if there is no comparable program?

If there is no train-out institution offering a comparable program, you may still file a claim and the tuition refund would first be paid to government, if you have student loans, then to you. PTIB will help you determine if you are eligible for a refund. 

Will I owe tuition and fees?

A train-out institution may not charge you tuition unless you still owe a portion of the tuition that was listed in the enrolment contract you signed with the closed institution.

The train-out institution may charge administrative fees, application fees, assessment fees and fees charged for course materials.  These fees must be listed in the enrolment contract you sign with the train-out institution.

Students receiving student financial assistance

Students receiving student financial assistance through a federal or provincial student loan have until 21 days from the closure to transfer to a train-out institution and begin classes. If you have not begun classes by this date, a withdrawal will be processed on your student loan and it is possible that an overaward(s) may be created on your file. An overaward is an overpayment in either repayable or non-repayable assistance discovered when a loan application is reassessed or a withdrawal is processed.

If a Canada Student loan or BC student loan overaward occurs, you may not be eligible to receive future student loan funding until these overawards are paid in full, otherwise the overaward amount will be deducted from future entitlements.

If you transfer to a train-out institution, you will need to complete an Appendix 5 (Transfer of Schools form) and submit it to StudentAid BC.

For more information, visit or call 1-800-561-1818.

International Students on Study Permits

Your study permit is valid until it expires.  When we provide the list of train-out institutions, we will make sure they are on the Designated Learning Institution list and authorized to host international students with study permits.  This means you will be able to complete your program at that institution as long as your study permit is valid. However, you must update program information with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) via their MyCIC account online. Further information is available at:

Additional information

For more information, contact PTIB at